The Establishment of Centre of Excellence for
Environmental Forensics Faculty of Environmental Studies
UNIVERSITI PUTRA MALAYSIA
The capability occurs at faculty which related with environment forensic are as follows:
- Dr. Mohamad Pauzi Zakaria (Associate Professor)
- Dr Wan Nor Azmin Sulaiman (Associate Professor)
- Dr Zelina Zaiton Ibrahim (Associate Professor)
- Dr. Mohd Kamil Yusoff (Associate Professor)
- Dr Ahmad Makmom Abdullah (Associate Professor)
The research which related on Environmental Forensic have been conducted together with international instituties and national as follows:
- Ocean Research Institute, University of Tokyo
- Laboratory of Organic Geochemistry, Tokyo University of Agricultural and Technology
- Emergency Response Laboratory, National Yunlin University of Science and Technology, Taiwan
- Laboratory of Organic Geochemistry, University of Rode Island, United States
- Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation Marine Environmental and Training Centre (AMETEC), Korea Ocean Research and Development Institute (KORDI), Korea
- National Pesticide Control Centre, University of Science, Malaysia
The Field of Research Activity
The Centre of Excellence for Environmental Forensics has four components as follows:
- Chemical Forensic Component – to conduct the investigation of material sources (fingerprints) toxic waste matters
- Biology and Molecular Technology – to conduct a research in sewage and feaces on water body polluted. This laboratory is necessary to provide with latest equipment included DNA sequencer.
- Solid Waste and Leachate - to conduct a research widely in chemical characterization of solid waste and leachate from landfills;
- Education and Transformation Technology – to conduct training, educate and to implement a research collaboration with other institutes, international and agencies companies.
Specific research field list as follows:
The fingerprinting method of material sources and to establish the comprehensive data based – this type of chemical data base in molecular level not yet exist in Malaysia.
This pioneer work can put forensic research environment to the next stage. All research activities will be conducted in Forensic Chemical Laboratory.
Distribution, sources and transport pathway of pollutant - specific fingerprint pollutant of matrices environment will be established. All research activities will be conducted in Forensic Chemical Laboratory and Biology and Molecular Technology Laboratory.
Transformation Technology – environmental forensics research will give a significant impact on the entire of xenobiotic chemical knowledge.
The Centre of Excellence for Environmental Forensics anticipated to contribute forensic knowledge of environment and scientific knowledge particularly research for undergraduate or postgraduate through thesis publication, seminars, research bulletin and journal publication.
Laboratory Which Related
Others laboratory that have related field of research included National Pesticide Control Centre (NPCC), University of Science, Malaysia, Forensic Laboratory, University of California, San Diego, and Organic Geochemical Laboratory, Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology, Japan and Organic Geochemical Laboratory, University of Rhode Island, USA.
University Management’s party applied to consider and further approve proposal for the establishment of The Centre of Excellence for Environmental Forensics in Faculty of Environmental Studies, UPM.
Back To The Top